Drug name: Generic Cardizem
Active substance: diltiazem hydrochloride
Pharmacological effects: Cardizem belongs to a group of hypertension medicines called calcium channels blockers. By blocking calcium channels in heart tissue and blood vessels ,Cardizem helps to wide blood vessels. This leads to the lowering of high blood pressure. Cardizem possesses antianginal, hypertensive and anti arrhythmic properties. Cardizem slows down AV conductibility, lowers the frequency of cardiac cycle. Cardizem causes the dilatation of the coronary arteries and reduces the demand of the heart tissue in oxygen.
Indications: Cardizem is approved for the treatment of the following cardiovascular diseases:
- High blood pressure treatment(hypertension)
- Prophylaxis and treatment of angina attacks
- Prophylaxis the attacks of supraventricular arrhythmia
Warnings and Precautions: The drug should not be used in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to any components of the preparations.
- Sick sinus syndrome
- Cardiogenic shock
- AV blockage(II or III type)
- Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome
- Arterial hypotension
- Acute heart failure
- Irregular heart rhythm(arrhythmia)
- Chronic heart failure IIB -III stage
- Severe liver and kidney diseases
- People less than 18 years of age
Cardizem side effects: Drugs may cause side effects which in specific patients may manifest differently. In the following paragraph we want to underline the most serious and frequent side effect of Cardizem that were identified by the drug manufacturers. The possibility of the adverse effect manifestation depends only on the individual and his specific traits. Cardizem side effects include:
For full information on any risks and adverse effects associated with Cardizem, please consult your doctor, read the included leaflet or contact our customer support service.
- The most common Cardizem side effects include: swelling or water retention, headache, nausea, dizziness, rash and weakness.
- The less common Cardizem side effects include: nightmares, drowsiness, dry mouth, tremor, loss of appetite, constipation, diarrhea, changes in taste, weight gain, ringing in the ears, erectile dysfunction
Interactions: Before using Cardizem please tell your doctor which drugs or supplements you are already taking including those bought without a prescription. Also check if any additional medicine which you will take during the course of Cardizem therapy are safe in combination. Especially mention if you are taking the following groups of drugs:
- Benzodiazepine agents
- Beta blockers
- Anti anxiety medicines(Buspiron)
- Anti epileptic preparations(Carbamazepine)
- H2 blockers(Cimetidine)
- Cardiac glycosides(digoxin)
- High cholesterol treatment(lovastatin)
- Immune suppression therapy(cyclosporine)
- Antiarrhythmic agents(quinidine)
- Prokaryotic DNA-primed RNA polymerase inhibitors(rifampin)
Patients information: Cardizem is not to be shared with healthy individuals. It is strictly FORBIDDEN to use the drugs in treatment of any conditions unrelated to their indications. The product as well as utilized vials, syringes, needles if used during the course of treatment should be kept out of reach of children and never reused.