Drug name: Generic Diamox
Active substance: Acetazolamide
Pharmacological effects: Diamox contains the active ingredient acetazolamide that belongs to a group of diuretics called carbonic anhydrase inhibitors. Diamox exerts diuretic effects by inhibiting the enzyme carbonic anhydrase in the proximal convoluted tubule of the nephron. Acetazolamide increases the excretion sodium, potassium and bicarbonate ions with urine. Diamox does not affect chloride's secretion. Diamox also lowers intracranial and intraocular pressure. Diamox also exerts anti-seizures effect.
Indications: Diamox is approved for the treatment of the the following conditions:
- Edema syndrome(light and moderate manifestation rate, in combination with alkalosis)
- Intracranial hypertension
- Acute height sickness
Warnings and Precautions: Diamox should not be used in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to any components of the preparations.
- Acute kidney failure
- Liver failure
- High potassium blood levels
- Addison disease
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Do not take the medicine for more than 5 days. Talk with your doctor about advisability of the further treatment.
Diamox side effects: Drugs may cause side effects which in specific patients may manifest differently. In the following paragraph we want to underline the most serious and frequent side effect of Acetazolamide that were identified by the drug manufacturers. The possibility of the adverse effect manifestation depends only on the individual and his specific traits. Diamox side effects include:
- CNS: seizures, paresthesia, anorexia, buzzing in ears, drowsiness
- Water-electrolyte balance: metabolic acidosis, low potassium blood levels
- Urogenital system: in rare cases nephrolithiasis, hematuria, glucosuria
- Digestive system: anorexia, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea
- Allergic reactions: skin rash a d hives
- Other: muscle weakness, itching
For full information on any risks and adverse effects associated with Diamox, please consult your doctor, read the included leaflet or contact our customer support service.
Interactions: Before using Diamox please tell your doctor which drugs or supplements you are already taking including those bought without a prescription. Also check if any additional medicine which you will take during the course of Diamox therapy are safe in combination. Especially mention if you are taking the following groups of drugs:
- In combination with anti-epileptic agents Diamox may cause aggravation of osteomalacia(bone softening)
- Diamox enhances the effects of other diuretics and theophylline
- Diamox lowers the effects of acid-forming diuretics
- Diamox enhances toxic effects of salicylates, cardiac glycosides, carbamazepine, ephedrine, neuromuscular relaxants
Patients information: Diamox is not to be shared with healthy individuals. It is strictly FORBIDDEN to use the drugs in treatment of any conditions unrelated to their indications. The product as well as utilized vials, syringes, needles if used during the course of treatment should be kept out of reach of children and never reused.