Drug name: Brand Diane-35
Active substance: Ethinyl estradiol, cyproterone
Pharmacological effects: Diane-35 is a combined preparation that contains ethinyl estradiol and an antiandrogen cyproterone acetate. The estradiol component works by increasing the viscosity of the cervical mucous thus preventing penetration of sperm cells to the uterine cavity. Cyproterone on its side blocks the androgen receptors and decreases the androgenization in women. During the treatment other effects can be monitored for examples the suppression of acne, and prevention of new blackhead formation. Cyproterone also expresses gestagenic activity that stipulates slowdown of ovulation and which is also a contraceptive effect.
Indications: The drug is used as a contraceptive but also may be indicated for the following conditions:
- Androgenization in women:
- Common acne
- Hair growth by mail pattern
- Contraception in women with androgenization
Warnings and Precautions: The drugs should not be used in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to any components of the preparations.
- Lactation period
- Liver and kidney dysfunctions
- Dubin-Johnson syndrome
- Disposition to thromb formation
- Uterus and mammary gland
- Lipid metabolism dysfunctions
- Idiopathic jaundice in pregnant women
- Severe itch and herpes in pregnant women
- Progressing otosclerosis
Side effects: Drugs may cause side-effects which in specific patients may manifest differently. In the following paragraph we want to underline the most serious and frequent side effect of Diane-35 that were identified by the drug manufacturers. The possibility of the adverse effect manifestation depends only on the individual and his specific traits. Diane-35 side effects include:
- Endocrine-gynecological side effects: Tension in the mammary gland, changes in the body weight,intermenstrual bleeding, libido changes.
- CNS side effects: Headaches, mood changes
- Gastrointestinal tract: Nausea, abdominal pain
- Cardiovascular system: hypertension
- Skin reactions: Increased face pigmentation
- Others: increased irritability from contact lenses
For full information on any risks and adverse effects associated with Diane-35 , please consult your doctor, read the included leaflet or contact our customer support service.
Interactions: Before using Diane-35 please tell your doctor which drugs or supplements you are already taking including those bought without a prescription. Also check if any additional medicine which you will take during the course of Diane-35 therapy are safe in combination. Especially mention if you are taking the following groups of drugs:
- Epilepsy treatment
- Tuberculosis treatment
Patients information: Diane-35 is not to be shared with healthy individuals. It is strictly FORBIDDEN to use the drugs in treatment of any conditions unrelated to their indications. The product as well as utilized vials, syringes, needles if used during the course of treatment should be kept out of reach of children and never reused.