Drug name: Duphaston
Active substance: dydrogesterone
Pharmacological effects: Duphaston contains the active ingredient dydrogesterone that is analogue to natural progesterone. Progesterone is a female sex hormone hat is responsible for the endometrium development that is essentially for pregnancy. Dydrogesterone does not possess estrogenic, androgenic, anabolic, glucocorticoid and thermogenic activity. Dydrogesterone selectively acts on endometrium and prevents the increased risk of endometrial hyperplasia associated with abundance of estrogens.
Indications: Duphaston is approved for the treatment of the following conditions:
- Pain in the abdominal cavity associated with menstrual periods
- Absence of menstrual periods while taking estrogen medicines
- Sterility caused by lutein deficiency.
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Premenstrual syndrome
- Bleeding and abdominal pain during pregnancy
- Female infertility
- Menstrual bleeding while taking estrogen preparations
- Preventing the womb lining overgrowth due to estrogen in hormone replacement therapy
Warnings and Precautions: Duphaston should not be used in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to any components of the preparations.
- Thrombosis of the blood levels
- Disease of the gal bladder
- Vaginal bleedings
- Severe cardiovascular diseases
- Severe kidney diseases
- Breast or genital cancer
Make sure to let your doctor know if you have high cholesterol levels and diabetes, epilepsy, migraine, depression, high blood pressure
Duphaston side effects: Drugs may cause side effects which in specific patients may manifest differently. In the following paragraph we want to underline the most serious and frequent side effect of Duphaston that were identified by the drug manufacturers. The possibility of the adverse effect manifestation depends only on the individual and his specific traits. Duphaston side effects include:
- CNS: headache and migraine
- Urogenital system: uterine bleedings
- Digestive system: liver dysfunction, jaundice, stomach pain
- Hematopoietic system: hemolytic anemia
- Allergic reactions: skin rash, itching, Quinke's edema
- Other: peripheral edema
For full information on any risks and adverse effects associated with Duphaston, please consult your doctor, read the included leaflet or contact our customer support service.
Interactions: Before using Duphaston please tell your doctor which drugs or supplements you are already taking including those bought without a prescription. Also check if any additional medicine which you will take during the course of Duphaston therapy are safe in combination. Especially mention if you are taking the following groups of drugs:
- Hormonal medicines
- Antituberculous treatment(rifampicin)
Patients information: Duphaston is not to be shared with healthy individuals. It is strictly FORBIDDEN to use the drugs in treatment of any conditions unrelated to their indications. The product as well as utilized vials, syringes, needles if used during the course of treatment should be kept out of reach of children and never reused.