Drug name: Brand Flagyl
Active substance: metronidazole
Pharmacological effects: Flagyl is an antiprotozoa medicine with antibacterial activity for the local application in gynecology. Action mechanism is associated with biochemical reduction of 5-nitrogroup by intracellular proteins of aerobic microorganisms. 5-nitrogroup of metronidazole interacts with DNA of the bacterial cells and inhibits the synthesis of nucleic acid.
Indications: Flagyl is approved for the treatment of:
- Nonspecific vaginitis
- Bacterial vaginitis
- Trichomonas vaginits
Warnings and Precautions: Flagyl should not be used in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to any components of the preparations.
- Flagyl ovuli are intended only for vaginal use
- Do not take Flagyl vaginal ovuli during menstrual periods. Avoid sexual intercourse while the treatment.
- In prolonged treatment it is recommended to control blood levels.
Flagyl side effects: Drugs may cause side effects which in specific patients may manifest differently. In the following paragraph we want to underline the most serious and frequent side effect of Flagyl that were identified by the drug manufacturers. The possibility of the adverse effect manifestation depends only on the individual and his specific traits.
- The most common Flagyl side effects include: nausea, taste changes, anorexia, abdominal pain, skin reactions. Local reactions: redness, itching and pain of the vagina
For full information on any risks and adverse effects associated with Flagyl, please consult your doctor, read the included leaflet or contact our customer support service.
Interactions: Before using Flagyl please tell your doctor which drugs or supplements you are already taking including those bought without a prescription. Also check if any additional medicine which you will take during the course of Flagyl therapy are safe in combination. Especially mention if you are taking the following groups of drugs:
- Immune suppression therapy(cyclosporin)
- Lithium preparations
- Alcoholism treatment(disulferam)
- Anti-epileptic medications(phenytoin)
- Blood thinners(warfarin)
- Muscle relaxants
Patients information: Flagyl is not to be shared with healthy individuals. It is strictly FORBIDDEN to use the drugs in treatment of any conditions unrelated to their indications. The product as well as utilized vials, syringes, needles if used during the course of treatment should be kept out of reach of children and never reused.