Drug name: Brand Lasix
Active substance: furosemide
Pharmacological effects: Lasix(furosemide) belongs to class of medicines called diuretcs or "water pills". Lasix action mechanism is associated with the reabsorbtion block of chloride and sodium ions in the Henle's loop. By blocking the reabsorption of these ions, Lasix increases the amount of water and blood removed by the kidneys. By increasing the removal of salts and water, Lasix lowers blood volume. This in its turn helps in water retention and reducing blood pressure.
Indications: Lasix is approved to treat the following conditions:
- Edema syndrome of a different genesis(chronic heart faulure, liver cirrhosis- portal hypertension, nephrotic syndrome)
- Kidney failure
- Acute left ventricle failure(cardiac asthma, pulmonary edema)
- Cerebral edema
- High blood pressure(hypertension)
- Forced diuresis
Warnings and Precautions: The drugs should not be used in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to any components of the preparations.
- Acute glomerulonephritis
- Terminal stage of kidney failure
- Hepatic coma
- Diabetic coma
- Disorders of the water-electrolyte balance
You should let your doctor know if any of these conditions apply to you:
- Liver diseases
- Kidney diseases
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Diabetes melitus
Lasix side effects: Drugs may cause side effects which in specific patients may manifest differently. In the following paragraph we want to underline the most serious and frequent side effect of Lasix that were identified by the drug manufacturers. The possibility of the adverse effect manifestation depends only on the individual and his specific traits.
- The most common Lasix side effects include: constipation or diarrhea, vision problems, increased photosensibilization, vertigo, headache, fever, anemia
- The less common Lasix side effects include: dizziness, dehydration symptoms, jaundice, high sugar blood levels, hearing problems, skin allergic reactions.
For full information on any risks and adverse effects associated with Lasix, please consult your doctor, read the included leaflet or contact our customer support service.
Interactions: Before using Lasix please tell your doctor which drugs or supplements you are already taking including those bought without a prescription. Also check if any additional medicine which you will take during the course of Lasix therapy are safe in combination. Especially mention if you are taking the following groups of drugs:
- Aminoglycoside antibiotics
- Blood pressure preparations
- Steroid medicines
- Cardiac glycosides(digoxin)
- Diuretics(Ethacrynic acid)
- Lithium preparations
- NSAID's(including salicylates(Aspirin))
- Gastrointestinal medication(Sucralfate)
Patients information: Lasix is not to be shared with healthy individuals. It is strictly FORBIDDEN to use the drugs in treatment of any conditions unrelated to their indications. The product as well as utilized vials, syringes, needles if used during the course of treatment should be kept out of reach of children and never reused.