Drug name: Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ)
Active substance: Hydrochlorothiazide
Pharmacological effects: Hydrochlorothiazide belongs to a group of medicines called diuretics or "water pills". HCTZ increases diuresis via inhibiting the reabsorbtion of sodium and chloride ions in the beginning of the renal tubule. Hydrochlorothiazide increases the amount of chlorides, sodium salts and water excreted by the kidneys. HCTZ also increases the removal of potassium and magnesium. By increasing the removal of water and salts, HCTZ lowers increased pressure inside blood vessels and helps to manage water retention.
Indications: Hydrochlorothiazide is approved for the treatment of the following conditions:
- High blood pressure controlling
- Edema syndrome of a different genesis(including chronic heart failure, nephrotic syndrome, premenstrual tension syndrome, acute glomerulonephritis; portal hypertension, therapy with corticosteroids)
- Polyuria controlling
- Prophylaxis of the stones formation in the urinary tracts
Warnings and Precautions: The drugs should not be used in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to any components of the preparations.
- Kidney failure
- Liver failure
- Addison disease
- Low potassium blood levels, low sodium blood levels, high calcium blood levels
- Children under 3 years of age
Hydrochlorothiazide should be used with caution in coronary heart disease, liver cirrhosis, gout, lactose intolerance, elderly aged patients
Hydrochlorothiazide side effects: Drugs may cause side effects which in specific patients may manifest differently. In the following paragraph we want to underline the most serious and frequent side effect of HCTZ that were identified by the drug manufacturers. The possibility of the adverse effect manifestation depends only on the individual and his specific traits.
The most common Hydrochlorothiazide side effects include:
- CNS: dizziness, vision problems, headache, paresthesia
- Digestive system: pancreatitis, cholecystitis, jaundice, diarrhea, constipation, anorexia
- Cardiovascular system: abnormal heart rhythm, low blood pressure, vasculitis
- Urogenital system: kidney dysfunction, nephritis
- Hematopoietic system: in rare cases leukopenia, agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia, hemolytic anemia, aplastic anemia.
- Metabolic activity: high blood sugar levels, glucosuria, low potassium blood levels, high calcium blood levels, low sodium blood levels, tiredness, alkalosis, low chloride blood levels
- Allergic reactions: hives, purpura, stereos-Johnson syndrome
- Other: decreased potention
For full information on any risks and adverse effects associated with HCTZ, please consult your doctor, read the included leaflet or contact our customer support service.
Interactions: Before using HCTZ please tell your doctor which drugs or supplements you are already taking including those bought without a prescription. Also check if any additional medicine which you will take during the course of Hydrochlorothiazide therapy are safe in combination. Especially mention if you are taking the following groups of drugs:
- Oral diabetes medicines and insulin
- Blood pressure medications
- Narcotic painkillers
- High cholesterol treatment(Colestipol, Cholestyramine)
- Muscle relaxants
- Lithium preparations
Patients information: Hydrochlorothiazide is not to be shared with healthy individuals. It is strictly FORBIDDEN to use the drugs in treatment of any conditions unrelated to their indications. The product as well as utilized vials, syringes, needles if used during the course of treatment should be kept out of reach of children and never reused.