Drug name: Brand Mirena
Active substance: Levonorgestrel
Pharmacological effects: Mirena is T-shaped specific intrauterine device that works by releasing the hormone levonorgestrel in the uterine cavity. The system is T-shaped for better matching with the form of the cavity. The systme releases levonorgestrel with the constant speed in small concentrations. The device works by controlling monthly development of the uterine mucocus membrane thus the membrane is not ready for ovule implantation. The active ingredient of the device also affects the viscosity of the mucous thus preventing the sperm penetration to the uterus.
Indications: Mirena is an intra uterine device used for:
- Treatment of menorrhagia
- Prophylaxis of endometrium hyperplasia
Warnings and Precautions: The drugs should not be used in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to any components of the preparations.
- Inflammatory disease of the small pelvis
- Infections of the urogenital tract
- Postnatal uterine infections
- Diseases that increase sensitivity to certain infections
- Menstrual bleeding of unknown genesis
- Cervix and uterine anomalies that lead to uterine cavity deformation
- Acute liver disease
- Tumorous liver disease
- Uterine and cervical cancer
- Dysplasia of the uterine cervix
- Cancer of the mammal gland
Mirena can be used only after a consultation with a specialist. The device must be removed if any of the following conditions manifest:
- Migraine or asymmetrical vision impairment
- Abnormally severe headache
- Increased arterial pressure
- Hormone dependent tumors
- Severe cardiovascular disease
Side effects: Drugs may cause side-effects which in specific patients may manifest differently. In the following paragraph we want to underline the most serious and frequent side effect of Mirena that were identified by the drug manufacturers. The possibility of the adverse effect manifestation depends only on the individual and his specific traits. Mirena side effects include:
- Changes in the menstrual cycle: increased or decreased periods of menstruation, pain during menstruations, spotting and etc.
- Abdominal, pelvic, or back pain
- Fluid retention
- Increased weight
- Cervical inflammation
- Breast engorgement
- Decreased libido
- Hair falling
- skin rash
- Abdominal bloating
For full information on any risks and adverse effects associated with Mirena, please consult your doctor, read the included leaflet or contact our customer support service.
Interactions: Before using Mirena please tell your doctor which drugs or supplements you are already taking including those bought without a prescription. Also check if any additional medicine which you will take during the course of Mirena therapy are safe in combination. Especially mention if you are taking the following groups of drugs:
- Specific herbal medicine
- Diabetes treatment
Patients information: Mirena is not to be shared with healthy individuals. It is strictly FORBIDDEN to use the drugs in treatment of any conditions unrelated to their indications. The product as well as utilized vials, syringes, needles if used during the course of treatment should be kept out of reach of children and never reused.