Drug name: Generic Pepcid
Active substance: famotidine
Pharmacological effects: Pepcid contains the active ingredient famotidine that belongs to a part of medications called H2 histamine receptors blockers. By blocking histamine receptors Pepcid helps to decrease the secretion of hydrochloric acid. This in its turn increases pH and decreases the activity of the pepsin. Pepcid enhances the protective properties of the stomach mucous lining via increasing the production of the stomach mucus and glycoproteins.
Indications: Pepcid is approved to treat the following conditions:
- Duodenal ulcers associated with Helicobacter pylori infections
- Post-operative ulcers
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Stomach and duodenal ulcers associated with the treatment with NSAID's
- Erosive esophagitis
- Systemic mastocytosis.
- Functional dyspepsia
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
Warnings and Precautions: The drugs should not be used in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to any components of the preparations.
Pepcid should be used with caution in liver and kidney failure, liver cirrhosis
Pepcid side effects: Drugs may cause side effects which in specific patients may manifest differently. In the following paragraph we want to underline the most serious and frequent side effect of Pepcid that were identified by the drug manufacturers. The possibility of the adverse effect manifestation depends only on the individual and his specific traits.
- The most common Pepcid side effects include: headache, diarrhea, dizziness and constipation
- The less common Pepcid side effects include: fever, fatigue, vomiting, nausea, muscle pain, dry mouth, arthritis, hair loss, ringing in the ears, taste changes, decreased libido, impotence
For full information on any risks and adverse effects associated with Pepcid, please consult your doctor, read the included leaflet or contact our customer support service.
Interactions: Before using Pepcid please tell your doctor which drugs or supplements you are already taking including those bought without a prescription. Also check if any additional medicine which you will take during the course of Pepcid therapy are safe in combination. Especially mention if you are taking the following groups of drugs:
- Antifungals(Ketoconazole and itraconazole)
Patients information: Pepcid is not to be shared with healthy individuals. It is strictly FORBIDDEN to use the drugs in treatment of any conditions unrelated to their indications. The product as well as utilized vials, syringes, needles if used during the course of treatment should be kept out of reach of children and never reused.