Drug name: Generic Prilosec
Active substance: Omeprazole
Pharmacological effects: Prilosec contains the active ingredient Omeprazole that belongs to a part of medications called proton pump inhibitors. Omeprazole works by inhibiting the activity of the pump called H+-K+-ATP-ase that is responsible for the production of stomach acid by the parietal cells. Prilosec helps to reduce the increased production of stomach acid and relieve the symptoms of hyperacidity in the gastrointestinal tract
Indications: Prilosec is approved to treat the following conditions:
- Stomach and duodenal ulcers
- Duodenal ulcers associated with Helicobacter pylori infections
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Pathological hypersecretory conditions
Warnings and Precautions: The drug should not be used in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to any components of the preparations.
- In children
Prilosec should be used with caution in liver and kidney diseases
Prilosec side effects: Drugs may cause side effects which in specific patients may manifest differently. In the following paragraph we want to underline the most serious and frequent side effect of Prilosec that were identified by the drug manufacturers. The possibility of the adverse effect manifestation depends only on the individual and his specific traits.
- The most common Prilosec side effects include: headache, pain in the abdominal cavity, diarrhea, upper respiratory system infections, dizziness, constipation and back pain
- The less common Prilosec side effects include: loss of appetite, dry mouth, dry eyes, dry skin, changes in taste, dry eyes, anemia, infections of the urinary system, insomnia, pain in muscles and joints, vertigo, and hair loss.
For full information on any risks and adverse effects associated with Prilosec, please consult your doctor, read the included leaflet or contact our customer support service.
Interactions: Before using Prilosec please tell your doctor which drugs or supplements you are already taking including those bought without a prescription. Also check if any additional medicines which you will take during the course of Prilosec therapy are safe in combination. Especially mention if you are taking the following groups of drugs:
- Antibiotics (Ampicillin)
- Antidepressants (Citalopram and Escitalopram)
- Tranquilizers (Diazepam)
- HIV treatment
- Supplements that contain iron
- Antifungals (ketoconazole and voriconazole)
- Blood thinners (Warfarin)
- Antiepileptic medicines (Phenytoin)
- Prophylaxis of organ rejection (Tacrolimus)
Patients information: Prilosec is not to be shared with healthy individuals. It is strictly FORBIDDEN to use the drugs in treatment of any conditions unrelated to their indications. The product as well as utilized vials, syringes, needles if used during the course of treatment should be kept out of reach of children and never reused.