Drug name: Generic Toprol
Active substance: Metoprolol
Pharmacological effects: Toprol belongs to a group of medicines called cardioselective beta1-adrenoblockers. Toprol works by blocking beta receptors located in the blood vessels and heart tissue. The blocking of these receptors make possible to decrease the effects associated with adrenalin and noradrenalin such as narrowing of the blood vessels and increase in the heart rate. Toprol exerts antianginal, antihypertensive and anti arrhythmic action. Metoprolol lowers contractility and conductibility of the heart tissue, volume of the heart per minute, increased requirement of the heart tissue in oxygen. Toprol suppresses the stimulating effects of catecholamines on the the heart tissue.
Indications: Toprol is approved for the treatment of the following cardiovascular conditions:
- Hypertension control
- Prophylaxis of angina attacks
- Hyperkinetic cardiac syndrome
- Supraventricular forms of tachycardia
- Secondary prophylaxis of myocardium infarction
- Prophylaxis of the migraines attacks
Warnings and Precautions: The drugs should not be used in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to any components of the preparations.
- AV block
- Cardiogenic shock
- Prinzmetal's angina
- Disorders of the peripheral circulation
- Predisposition to bronchospams
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
The medication should be used with caution in patients with diabetes, liver and kidney diseases, depression, pheochromocytoma, hyperthyroidism, Raynaud's phenomenon, blood vessels diseases, patients which keep a rigid diet, Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), slow heart rate, emphysema.
Toprol side effects: Drugs may cause side effects which in specific patients may manifest differently. In the following paragraph we want to underline the most serious and frequent side effect of Toprol that were identified by the drug manufacturers. The possibility of the adverse effect manifestation depends only on the individual and his specific traits.
- The most common Toprol side effects include: decreased heart rate, increased tiredness, dizziness, diarrhea, depression, problems with breathing, nausea, dry mouth, constipation, heartburn, and meteorism
- The less common Toprol side effects include: headache, insomnia, liver dysfunction, psoriasis, diabetes, arthritis, hair loss, dry eyes, short-term memory loss.
For full information on any risks and adverse effects associated with Toprol, please consult your doctor, read the included leaflet or contact our customer support service.
Interactions: Before using Toprol please tell your doctor which drugs or supplements you are already taking including those bought without a prescription. Also check if any additional medicine which you will take during the course of Toprol therapy are safe in combination. Especially mention if you are taking the following groups of drugs:
- MAO inhibitors. Do not take Toprol with MAO inhibitors
- Other beta-blockers
- Calcium channel blockers(verapamil, diltiazem)
- arrhythmia medications
- H2 histamine receptor blockers(Cimetidine)
- Other hypertension medicines(clonidine, reserpine)
- Anti malaria agents(Plaquenil�)
- Cardiac glycosides(Digoxin)
- Antiviral agents(ritonavir)
- Antimycotic agents(Lamisil)
- Diabetes medicines
Patients information: Toprol is not to be shared with healthy individuals. It is strictly FORBIDDEN to use the drugs in treatment of any conditions unrelated to their indications. The product as well as utilized vials, syringes, needles if used during the course of treatment should be kept out of reach of children and never reused.